To mark the start of the school year, Mobilicity has introduced back to school blog.ca- a special collection of blogs by Canadian frosh students using Mobilicity smartphones to share their own unique perspectives on going back to school.
Mobilicity’s back-to-school site features five distinct blogs from first-year students attending different post-secondary school campuses across Canada. It gives site visitors an inside account of their student lives through text, photographs and video clips as they enter college or university, attend frosh activities and their first week of classes.
“Going back to school plays a notable role in our lives because it’s at school where we typically form meaningful, lifelong friendships, learn important ideas and start to follow new paths in life,” said Chief Customer Officer Anthony Booth. “With the Back To School Blog, Mobilicity is paying tribute to these special experiences using the power of our smartphones and blogging technology to bring five Canadian students’ back-to-school stories to life.”
5 frosh bloggers + 5 smartphones = 1 helluva blog
- Toronto native Daniel Rostas is studying Radio and Television Arts at Ryerson University after three years of musical theatre at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City. Blogging with a Mobilicity HTC Panache smartphone, 21-year-old Daniel says this about Orientation Week: “I say “orientation” in numerous senses, as I immediately got lost the second I arrived. The place was friggin’ huge! I guess I’m coming from what wasn’t a very large high school to studying at a conservatory that only had a few hundred students, to a bona fide university with several thousand students, and tons and tons of buildings, faculties, and departments.”
- Alberta farm girl Jennifer Wood is enrolled in the business administration program at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton. Blogging using a Mobilicity Motorola Spice smartphone, Jennifer, 19, admits that city life will be an adjustment and she’s going to miss life on the farm (in addition to the animals, she loves snowmobiles and ATVs). But she adds, “I’m always up for an adventure. I’m not the type of person to turn down a challenge.”
- Vancouver amateur photographer Marko Kundicevic, 18, is studying journalism and film at University of British Columbia and is blogging using a Mobilicity Samsung Nexus S smartphone. Marko, who likes to use a lot of food analogies, says he’s “about to take a big bite of the UBC burger! There’s just something about university that makes it sound so appetizing. The lively people I am going to meet, the exciting things I am going to learn, the wild campus life… I’m thrilled to add all these ingredients to my life and share them with you.”
- Saskatoon gymnast Nicole Linzmeyer is blogging from Ottawa’s Carleton University using a Mobilicity BlackBerry Curve 3G smartphone. Studying journalism, 18-year-old Nikki says she’s “most looking forward to living on residence and having a fresh start with everybody. I am also excited to see the similarities and differences between Saskatchewan and Ontario; I’m sure there are plenty (I’ve heard milk comes in bags?!).”
- University of Calgary undergrad Iain Tufts is blogging using the Samsung G-Touch smartphone. Iain, 18, is working toward his Bachelor of Commerce but doesn’t have to select a major until third year. “I am thinking of Accounting,” he says. “The idea of having a set routine, with clear rules and regulations, just seems enticing to me. A benefit of this major is its applications to real life – complete control over your own financial affairs!”
Site visitors who vote for their favourite back-to-school blogger through the end of September will automatically be entered into a draw to win a Mobilicity smartphone with one year of service on the carrier’s Ultimate Unlimited Back to School plan (valued at approximately $650, see blog site for complete rules and regulations).
Mobilicity recently introduced a number of limited-time promotions to help make going back to school more affordable and enjoyable. The unlimited carrier’s $25 Back-to-School Plan is a great deal for anyone who wants to stay connected with friends and family without breaking the bank, offering unlimited local calling, unlimited text and picture messaging, unlimited data, caller ID and unlimited Mobilicity-to-Mobilicity calling.
To provide students the most bang for their buck, the company also launched the Ultimate Unlimited Back-to-School Plan, which for only $40 a month, includes all of its $25 Back-to-School Plan features, plus unlimited North American long distance, unlimited Canada/US text and picture messaging, unlimited global text messaging, voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding and 3-way calling.
Mobilicity is also offering up to $200 off select handsets for a limited time, making it possible for students to purchase a name-brand Android smartphone for under $100.