SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. have launched a video contest to celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog’s 19th anniversary. Two lucky grand prize winners, one from North America and one from the UK, will each receive a trip for two to Tokyo to visit SEGA Japan and meet the Sonic development team.
“In honor of the nineteenth anniversary of our favorite hedgehog, we wanted to find a special way to thank Sonic’s fans throughout the years,” said Haruki Satomi, executive vice president of SEGA of America. “We think this contest is a great way to give fans a chance to express their creativity, enthusiasm and support for Sonic.”
Over the course of the next two weeks, contestants can upload their videos showing their appreciation and love for Sonic the Hedgehog to YouTube and then submit them for judging on the official Sonic 4 Contest Page. Videos will be judged on creativity, entertainment and effort; the ten best will be chosen by SEGA and showcased on the official Sonic the Hedgehog 4 website.
Sonic fans and the entire SEGA community will then choose their favorite to win either the grand prize trip to Tokyo, or a prize of a 32 GB iPod touch®. Contest void where prohibited.
The Consulate General of Canada in Seattle is planning activities around Casual Connect Seattle 2010 (July 20 – 22) to promote the Canadian game development industry, including a networking event, a Canada table at the show and a Canada Casual Games Organization Directory. Discounted registration is also available on a limited basis. For information on these activities and how to become involved, please contact Victoria Hayes.
Don’t forget that Women In Games Vancouver will be participating in GameSauce, the conference-before-the-conference. GameSauce will take place in Seattle on Monday, July 19th and will feature many educational tracks and opportunities for networking.
Can’t get enough FIFA World Cup Action? As part of its tribute to the 2010 FIFA World Cup, BC Soccer and a team of partners, including Ubisoft Vancouver, will be showcasing BC Soccer World on Thursday, July 1st, at Canada Day at Canada Place.
The staging of soccer and sport activity zones, demonstrations and other special events will serve as a new addition to the award-winning Canada day at Canada Place festivities. BC Soccer World will go from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT under the five sails at the iconic Canada Place venue in downtown Vancouver.
“We see it as a natural coming together of a special day for Canada with a special year for the global soccer community,” said Bjorn Osieck, Chief Executive of BC Soccer. “BC Soccer World will celebrate our ‘Global Game’ with ‘Universal Passion’ and will help showcase sport, active living and the beautiful game of soccer.”
The 2010 event at the largest Canada Day celebrations in British Columbia is seen as a pilot project for similar community outreach events in other major centres throughout the province in the coming years.
“Our model is simple: provide an introduction to soccer and sport for children, young people and their families by offering a wide variety of soccer activities and sport demonstrations in a festival style event,” said Osieck. “Those coming to BC Soccer World at Canada Day at Canada Place will have the chance to check out the history and heritage of our game in BC and what it stands for in terms of active, inclusive and team play for young people of all ages.”
BC Soccer World is a team effort between BC Soccer and Canada Place, supported by the provincial association’s key community partners: KidSport (Sport BC), ActNow BC, SportMed BC and the BC Sports Hall of Fame. Washington State Youth Soccer is also supporting BC Soccer World on a weekend that features both Canada Day on Thursday, July 1st, and U.S. Independence Day celebrations on Sunday, July 4th.
Among those stepping up as leading sponsors of BC Soccer World are Ubisoft, Umbro, Impact Canopy, NetGenetix, EarthSport and the Williams Health Group. The event will transform Exhibit Hall B at Canada Place into a soccer zone of fun, fitness and friendship with a centre court surrounded by several activity zones presented by our key partners.
The BC Soccer World Event will include:
• An artificial turf Centre Court for kids and teens to get their kicks in, along with some demonstrations from the best in wheelchair power soccer and freestyle soccer
• The BC Sports Hall of Fame zone walking you through the great history and people in our game
• The SportMed Soccer activity zone powered by SportMedBC and the Williams HealthGroup, where kids can check out their posture, jumping and movement
• The ActNow healthy living zone and relay
• The KidSport zone, promoting the accessibility to soccer and sport in general
• The EarthSport Green Room lounge and chill out area
• The Touch Wall display powered by NetGenetix
• Interactive Soccer Stations
• The Ubisoft “Pure Futbol” virtual play zone
• The Umbro Soccer Fashion Show with special soccer models
• The “Kickin’ with the Stars” – Celebrity 5v5 Match
• Opportunities to meet and greet Canadian Olympic Athletes
TELETOON will be kicking off its annual TELETOON Most Awesome Summer Tour at Vancouver’s Canada Place Canada Day Celebrations as well before traveling across the country to various cities including Calgary, Winnipeg, Saint Sauveur, Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City and Toronto.
“We’re gearing up to bring the TELETOON experience to life for more kids and their families than ever before,” said Karen Touma, Director, Marketing, TELETOON Canada inc. “With a life-sized Johnny Test puzzle challenge based on the hit TELETOON series Johnny Test, a Total Drama World Tour karaoke stage where fans can perform one of our most popular franchises’ theme song, as well as other fun and interactive activities, this year promises to be the Most Awesome Summer Tour ever.”
In addition to the Johnny Test Lab-O-Mania game, the Total Drama World Tour Karaoke Contest will give young stars-to-be the opportunity to be featured in their very own music video. Performers and their parents can choose to enter their video in the contest for a chance at a $5,000 grand prize. Kids can also enter the contest from home by uploading their own Total Drama World Tour Karaoke video to teletoon.com. All contest performances will be featured in an online video gallery and throughout the summer, 10 weekly finalists will be chosen. At the end of the tour, fans get to decide the Total Drama World Tour Karaoke Contest winner in an online vote at teletoon.com.
Kids taking part in the tour will also have the chance to test their TELETOON knowledge with the ever- popular TELETOON Spin to Win Wheel and win DVDs, t-shirts, beach towels and other exciting prizes. The unique tour experience will allow families to play their favourite teletoon.com games, watch exclusive TELETOON clips and much more.
The TELETOON Most Awesome Summer Tour will be making a stop at the following locations:
* Canada Place, Vancouver – Thursday, July 1
* Playland, Vancouver – Saturday, July 3 to Sunday, July 4
* Calaway Park, Calgary – Friday, July 9 to Monday, July 12
* St. Vital Centre, Winnipeg – Friday, July 16 through Sunday, July 18
* Mont Saint-Sauveur, Saint-Sauveur – Saturday, July 24 and Sunday, July 25
* International Busker Festival, Halifax – Friday, August 6 through Sunday, August 8
* Fête des enfants, Montreal – Friday, August 13 through Sunday, August 15
* Expo Québec, Quebec City – Friday, August 20 through Sunday, August 22
* Scotiabank Buskerfest, Toronto – Thursday, August 26 through Sunday, August 29
* the Ex, Toronto – Thursday, September 3 through Sunday, September 6