Up to six producers from across Canada will be selected to participate in the WFF Feature Project Lab, an intense four-day business and marketplace immersion experience presented by the Whistler Film Festival in association with Telefilm Canada. New for 2013, this program will be held from December 3 to 6, 2013 during the Whistler Film Festival + Summit. Designed to advance Canadian creative talent, the WFF Feature Project Lab focuses on strengthening dramatic feature projects from script to screen by facilitating feedback as well as collaboration on and investment in film projects that have US and international appeal.
WHAT IS THE FEATURE PROJECT LAB?
Imagine up to 4 days spent meeting, work-shopping, dining, brainstorming in Whistler, North America’s top mountain resort with key industry experts who aim to help you tap into significant opportunities.
Producers will receive individual and project specific feedback through a series of one-on-one sessions with Advisors, as well as group sessions in order to strengthen their ability to position their project for investment. Feedback will include everything from where to take their script to next, to what changes the project and package may require to attract investors outside of Canada, and what market resources are available to producers looking for US interest. Producers will also explore their own creative take on their project and develop skills and a process for evaluating, developing, and implementing their material to reflect these ideas, and examine conventional and alternative distribution strategies, and learn what they need to do to stay relevant as media distribution platforms continue to evolve. Scripts are discussed alongside issues such as creative imperatives, marketplace valuation, and production challenges.
- Producers will receive strategic advice and packaging feedback from international market experts and sales agents who have relationships with US and International partners; select Distributors and Financiers most relevant to the projects; and experts in alternative distribution and marketing.
- Each producer will be booked into both individual and group meetings.
- Facilitators will lead guest sessions, debrief with producers after sessions, discuss next steps helping producers determine how best to implement the feedback and advice.
- Producers will be prepped for application to or attendance at key markets as next steps where relevant.
- Producers will leave with a revised package reflecting the strategic advice and creative counsel received, the tools needed to assemble an attractive international package, increased abilities to effectively pitch themselves and their project to various U.S. and International industry members, a strategic marketing and distribution plan, significantly expanded network of international experts, and ideally leave with new investment interest.
- Fully read and complete the Application Form and Guidelines (DOC)
- Pay the submission fee online when you complete the Application Form
- Receive a confirmation of your application from our office within two weeks of submission
- To be considered, your application must include the following and be received by WFF or before 5pm PST on September 30, 2013.
- If you are co-producing this project, you must identify which producer will attend on behalf of the team.
- A producer may enter a maximum of three projects. There must be a separate application and fee submitted for each project.
- A selection committee consisting of two WFF representatives and two additional industry professionals, including a key international sales representative, will vet the applications and shortlist candidates for interviews before making final decisions.
- Once projects have been selected, producers will receive initial feedback on their packages and some strategy discussions with Lab Facilitators prior to the Lab.
- Two facilitators will provide a high level of strategic advice and counsel to producers over the course of the Lab helping them to address feedback from Industry Advisors.
|July 24||Call for Submissions announced|
|September 30||Submission deadline|
|Week of October 14||Final producers and projects invited and announced (up to 6) along with Industry Advisors.|
|October 14 –
|Selected producers receive feedback on their package and a proposed strategy is discussed so they can revise package if need be.|
|November 15||Deadline for producers to resubmit revised materials that are sent off to consultants/advisors to prep.|
|December 3 – 6||WFF Feature Project Lab takes place in Whistler, B.C. Producers receive a complimentary industry pass to attend 2013 Whistler Film Festival + Summit.|