AOL Canada has announced the launch of MapQuest Discover, a social platform for travel related content, brought to you by AOL’s popular mapping site MapQuest. Discover encourages users to create personal pages with curated locations, events, and destinations and will also allow users to follow one another, browse popular feeds, favourite and share their collections on social networks.
“MapQuest Discover offers Canadians a new way to share photos, post articles and talk about travel experiences. Leveraging the 1.4 million Canadians that currently visit MapQuest, Discover offers a unique benefit to research destinations with photos and reviews and other users journeys,” said Paul Cramp, AOL Canada.
Key features of the site:
- Travel Content: original content designed to inspire travel written by travel experts, travelers and locals.
- Collections: a unique feature that allows users to curate and share photo collections of favourite places, plan trips and inspire future destinations.
- Newsfeed: an aggregation of places, popular collections, trends and travel guides.
- Passport: a passport serves as the user’s profile page.
- Photos: users can upload personal photos and share one another’s collections.
- Social media functionality: users can share collections, destinations and photos on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
MapQuest is a premium mapping destination reaching 1.4 million unique monthly visitors in Canada that continues to play a large role in online navigation and local travel directions. With a robust suite of products such as maps, directions, the business locator tool and now Discover, MapQuest is the second most popular mapping site in Canada. (Source: comScore Inc., Total Canada, Home and Work, Unique Visitors, February 2013)
To further engage users, the site launches with the Discover Dream Destination Contest, which can be found through the contest’s Passport page for the next six weeks. Prizes include two weekly “instant winners” and a grand prize getaway to the winner’s choice to one of the following destinations: The Mayan Riviera, Punta Cana or Cuba, provided by Transat Holidays and Tripcentral.ca.