Did you know that when you use certified software or a web application to prepare your return, it’s faster and does a lot of the work for you? It may even identify benefits and credits you didn’t even know you were entitled to. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) offers fast, easy, and secure online services. Join the growing number of Canadians who enjoy the benefits of filing online. Consider these five steps before you sit down to file your return online:
- Go to the CRA Get Ready page to read about some of the ways you can reduce your taxes this year.
- Gather all your information slips and receipts as well as a copy of last year’s return to use as a guide for this year. But don’t send those receipts in with your return! If we need to see them, we will let you know.
- Have you recently moved? Did your banking information change? Make sure the CRA has your updated address and direct deposit information before you file. The fastest way to update both is by using My Account, so register today – you can use this service later to track your refund status.
- To file online, you need to complete your return using certified software or a Web application. The CRA provides an online list of options – some that can be purchased and some that are completely free to use.
- Have your social insurance number and date of birth on hand. That’s the only information you’ll need to safely and securely transfer your return to the CRA using NETFILE.
Now you’re ready! Filing online is fast, easy and secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security used by Canadian financial institutions. Go to Get Ready and CRA will walk you through it step by step.