The Canada Media Fund (CMF) has put the spotlight on Canada’s excellence, creativity and innovation at the world’s largest content entertainment market in Cannes. Canada’s leading-edge and innovative transmedia series, games, software and mobile applications supported through the Fund’s Experimental Stream, were screened at a “Canada, Country of Honour” celebration, presented by the CMF and Telefilm Canada this October 8th through 11th at MIPCOM.
“These critically acclaimed projects are prime examples of the enduring creativity of Canadian media producers and position Canada’s innovation on the world stage”, said Catalina Briceno, Director of Industry and Market Trends.
Many of these projects were funded by the CMF’s Experimental Stream, a $36 million program dedicated to the financing of content and software that pushes the boundaries of new digital platforms and emerging technologies.
A Selection of Canada’s Top Digital Productions
- Endgame Interactive produced by Thunderbird Films and Secret Location transforms the world of the popular television series Endgame to a transmedia experience using social media in a groundbreaking way.
- Guacamelee produced by DrinkBox Studios draws its inspiration from traditional Mexican culture and folklore. Developed for the PlayStation3 (PS3) and the PlayStation Vita (PS Vita), this game builds upon the classic open-world Metroid-vania style of games.
- Lightning produced by Social Game Universe is a ground-breaking platform which allows users to create social games on any platform including Facebook, iOS, Android, and Mac Windows.
- Le Grand Jeu produced by Phéromone and ODD1 is a social game which gives users the ability to offer their hockey management strategies remotely. Drawing on two leading-edge concepts: the ubiquitous web and crowdsourcing, this game offers an original way to play.
- Contrast produced by Compulsion Games allows users to experience a surreal 1920s whereby they can create unique shadow landscapes and manipulate light sources. Immersed in fascinating landscapes, this game challenges one’s creativity and imagination.
- Murdock Mysteries produced by Smokebomb is a unique transmedia companion to the popular television series of the same name. Fans of the series can look forward to rip-roaring tales with diabolical villains and weekly cliffhangers.
- Les Parent produced by La Presse Télé with Turbulent is an entertaining, warm-hearted comedy illustrating the delicate art of being a parent. In the form of vignettes, this comedy will forever change the way today’s family is viewed with its humor, warmth and tenderness.
- Big Win Soccer produced by Hothead Games allows mobile audiences to create their own unique dream team and compete against opponents around the world. The focus on making quick game play sessions, and simple mechanics result in a high level of engagement with a mobile audience.
- Unique produced by TOXA is an exciting portal which offers users original videos and interactive guides to help them make a selection of must-see addresses in the world’s big cities.
- One Day produced by the CBC is a webdoc series that celebrates remarkable stories about Canadians. It is a fascinating mix of stories from one single day that showcases interactive filmmaking in a seamless blend of professional and viewer-generated footage.
- Papo & Yo produced by Minority Media Inc is a game set in a Brazilian favela, with colorful structures of corrugated metal, Spanish tile, wood and cinder block. A lyrical tale of a boy and a monster, this game sets a new standard in gaming for representing the world as it is.
Find out more about many of these outstanding projects at Canadaonscreen.ca, a website designed to showcase and celebrate Canada’s creative talents and screen-based productions from television productions to games, web content, and software and applications.
Gold Partners: Cineflix Media, official partner of the media breakfast in honour of Canadian talent, and Rogers Broadcasting and PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers).
Silver Partners: Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists, Canadian Tourism Commission, Entertainment One, Omnifilm Entertainment, Ontario Media Development Corporation, Take 5 and White Pine Pictures.
Bronze Partners: Aetios Productions, Alberta Film, Banff World Media Festival, British Columbia Film + Media, Canadian Media Production Association, Corporation Image Entertainment, Film Nova Scotia, Manitoba Film & Music, Ricardo Media and Seven24 Films