With Let’s develop together! as its theme, the Société de transport de Laval is launching a contest for everyone interested either in developing mobile applications from their Open Data, in order to improve riders’ experience in using the STL’s services, or in submitting an idea or a concept for a mobile application, in order to further improve riders’ experience in using their services.
In fact, all contest entrants will have a chance to win up to $10,000 in prizes, depending on the application submitted.
Here are the four categories:
- Best General Application — Judges’ Choice — Grand Prize: $5,000
- Best General Application — People’s Choice Award — 2nd Prize: $3,000
- Honourable mention by the Judges for an Application — 3rd Prize: $1500
- Participation prize for an Application Idea — Random draw: $500
Since December 2011, the STL has been providing access to its data, thereby allowing users to integrate them into an application that they are developing, which in turn will promote greater access to information on schedules and routes for as many people as possible.
The contest started on Tuesday, March 5 at 5 p.m. and mobile applications may be submitted until 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 31, 2012. A pre-selection will then be made by a panel of judges and the general public will be asked to vote, between 5 p.m. on June 11, 2012 and 5 p.m. on July 6, 2012, to choose the best application, based on the following criteria:
- Usefulness — usefulness to STL riders
- Originality — uniqueness and inventiveness of application
- Ease of use — overall usability of the application
- Accessibility — ability of the application to be used by many types of people
The winners will be identified at 10 a.m. on July 13, 2012.