16th February 2012

TuneCore Songwriter Service Arrives in Canada

tunecoreTuneCore has officially launched its new songwriter service in Canada. The service unlocks millions of dollars in royalties owed to Canadian songwriters and music publishers that until now have gone unpaid. The new service, available to Canadian songwriters and publishers, arrives in Canada a month after the launch of TuneCore’s industry changing flat fee, keep all your rights, get 100% of the revenues global music distribution service here.

“Too many songwriters in Canada and all over the world can’t get the royalties they have earned,” says TuneCore CEO Jeff Price. “We have set out to change that by matching millions of uncollected dollars with their rightful owners, directly and transparently.”

The Songwriter Publishing Administration Service again revolutionizes the music business. For the first time, at the click of a button, any songwriter can have a global music publishing administration deal that:

  • Registers their copyrights worldwide
  • Collects money that is rightfully theirs
  • Protects and polices their copyrights and songs
  • Issues licenses on their behalf, including for music used in TV, movies, commercials and other media

Each time a song is downloaded, streamed or publicly performed, songwriters earn money. However, copyright collectives such as the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN) and the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency (CMRRA) do not collect all of the royalties generated.

TuneCore works globally with agencies like SOCAN and CMRRA, and also goes direct to digital music services worldwide, to retrieve this money. This puts more dollars into songwriters’ pockets faster and with more transparency than any other service. TuneCore’s benefits extend to both songwriters presently “in the system” and the vast majority who have never collected royalties owed to them.

To date, the songwriter service represents over 1,200 songwriters and publishers including digital pioneer Trent Reznor, for releases by Nine Inch Nails and his new project How To Destroy Angels. In just one month, it has identified more than $350,000 in royalties owed to TuneCore songwriters, including thousands of dollars from CMRRA.

By going direct to digital music services, TuneCore eliminates the multiple middlemen used by all other services, thereby putting up to 25% more money in songwriters’ pockets.

TuneCore Songwriter Service costs a one-time payment of $49.99 for global registration plus 10% of the money TuneCore collects. The remaining 90% is distributed to the songwriter. Currently artists must be using TuneCore for distribution in order to sign up, though the service will soon be open to any rights holder.

TuneCore’s Songwriter Service team includes Jamie Purpora, President, former SVP Publishing administration for Bug Music, one of the largest independent music publishers in the world. In addition, Bug Music co-founder/President Fred Bourgoise is a TuneCore Board Member/Advisor.

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 16th, 2012 at 8:20 am and is filed under Digital Products, National News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

  • Archives

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter


  • Select a list:

    Annex|Pro
  • GWEN Radio
  • Gamers Giving Back

Optimization WordPress Plugins & Solutions by W3 EDGE