You are invited to join The Children’s Wish Foundation on Wednesday, September 21st when ten prominent members of local business, political, entertainment, and community groups will become castaways and be banished to ‘Exile Island’ in an effort to raise funds for The Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada. The event challenges participants to raise $10,000 each (the average cost of one wish), as well as prepare for banishment to ‘Exile Island’, aka the Vancouver Art Gallery, which is located at 750 Hornby Street. Castaways participate in a day of mental, physical and creative challenges as they compete for the title of “British Columbia’s Ultimate Survivor”.
Each participant has been partnered with a child anticipating his or her wish to serve as an inspiration. Participants will meet their wish child in person for the first time on event day. Upwards of $100,000 is expected to be raised at the event. Nationally since 2006, more than 650 participants have taken part in Exile Island helping Children’s Wish raise over $2 million.
Who will be banished to Exile Island this year?
- Andrea Shaw, Founder & Managing Partner, The Twentyten Group
- Chief John McKearney, Fire Chief, Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services
- Gerry De Cicco, Assistant General Manager, Richmond Olympic Oval
- Ian Speckman, Dealer Principal, Maple Ridge Chrysler
- Jennifer Scott, Designer & Co-owner, A Good Chick To Know
- Jessica Bedi, Vancouver Police Department
- Kevin Hayes, Community Events Director, The Shore 104.3 FM
- Mashiah Vaughn, Actress, Model & Entrepreneur, Founder of Open Sundaes
- Mayor Richard Stewart, City of Coquitlam
- Michael Gokturk, Chief Executive Officer, Payfirma Corporation
Look for the festivities to take place in the Art Gallery’s North Courtyard by the Fountain, with the official Opening Ceremony getting under way at 1:00 pm. The challenges will run from 1:30 pm until 4:00 pm, and will be followed by awards presentations and the closing ceremony.