Hot off the grill, a new video game studio has arrived in St. John’s. Founded by two game developers with a passion for intense experiences, Red Meat Games offers the kind of video games that players have a hunger for, and their first offering is partway through a very successful Kickstarter campaign. Steel & Steam: Episode 1 is a retro fantasy steampunk JRPG situated in a large open world. The studio’s initial funding goal has been met, and the developers are now working towards realizing their stretch goals, to which further contributions received will be applied.
About Steel & Steam – Episode 1:
The desert plague is spreading from the East: a reminder of a destructive past. Man has evolved since the wars of old, creating new ways to combat this deadly expanse. Using Steel and Steam, man fights this terror, as well as the monsters that spawn from its touch. Now covering half the continent of Terra Corpus, the desert’s slow and steady hunger is threatening to consume and corrupt all life in the world. Some of the desperate seek out legends of the past: elemental guardians said to sleep inside the planet. Once resurrected, these powerful beings can be controlled, and guided to stop the desert. The legends speak of a chosen few who have the ability to tame these elemental beings and reshape the world. Our story begins with one such person.
The Heroic Heroes:
Noah Phoenix is 19 years old, standing at 5’10 and weighing in at 170lbs. He is an adventure junky; he likes to jump in feet first, while searching for the next mystery around the corner. After a short stint with the Silver Head City Guard, Noah decided to move on as a freelancer. Without Alyssa to watch his back, he probably would have already bitten off more than he could chew.
- Favorite weapons: sword, axe or pistol.
- Protective wear: shirts, light, medium and heavy coats.
Alyssa Noble is 21, and standing at an impressive 6’3″, she averages 200lbs without gear. Our heroine grew up learning how to fight by protecting her father’s caravans. She likes to step back and assess the situation, before laying it out cold with a good punch. Noah’s best friend and protector, she believes that if she wasn’t around to watch Noah’s back, he would have been killed long ago.
- Favorite weapons: fists, clubs or rifles.
- Protective wear: shirts, light, medium, and heavy corsets.
What’s In The Recipe For Steel & Steam:
- A PC release: The game will be released for PC.
- A huge world to explore: The game is being designed as an immersive fantasy world. Cities and towns will be full of people and buildings to engage with, with story lines that characters can choose to follow regarding the history and current state of affairs that affect the day to day lives of the people who live here.
- An engaging story: An episodic story that involves two main heroes, with an epic conclusion.
- Choose your story: You have the chance to complete side missions that change how you interact with the world of Steel & Steam. From changes to the characters you meet, all the way down to changes in the very landscapes you encounter, the side missions provide extra depth that unlocks new stories and opportunities to earn experience without the grind.
- Retro style gaming at its finest: Remember the glory days when games told epic stories? Steel & Steam is a retro RPG similar to the classic RPG games played on the Sega Genesis, NES and SNES systems. Relive the past, relish the future, and revel in the now (insert announcer voice here).
- A little side fun: Want to take a break from saving the world? Then you can also play some mini games, such as fishing or arena gambling (if the stretch goal is met).
- Original soundtrack: An original soundtrack, with mp3 downloads available to all KNOWITALL level (and above) backers (if the stretch goal is met).
Behind The Scenes At Red Meat Games:
Christo “Steak” Stassis and Keith “Pork Belly” Makse have worked in video games and simulations for over 20 years, and both are looking to bring a new kind of sizzle to the video game industry.
“We want to bring fresh ideas to the table. With so many new platforms to develop for, we want to use the technology out there to make games that can be delivered to all of them,” says Stassis.
“We put all of our focus into providing an intense, energetic experience that will leave you wheezing after playing our games,” adds Makse. “We want to make sure that whether you are on the go, taking a break or enjoying your free time, we give you an opportunity to play some truly groovy games, no matter where you are.”
From web to mobile to social media, Red Meat Games will be delivering their unique games to players who are looking for online experiences of extreme exuberance.