SiriusXM Canada, the country’s leading audio entertainment company, today announced the launch of its fourth annual national comedy contest, the search for SiriusXM’s Next Top Comic. This year, up-and-coming comics from across the country will vie for an opportunity to audition live in one of seven Canadian cities. The most talented will go on to compete for a chance to win one of eight spots in the lineup at the Just For Laughs JFL42 Comedy Festival in Toronto where the best performer will win a grand prize of $15,000 and the title of SiriusXM’s Next Top Comic.
“Canadian comics are extremely talented and work hard every day to refine their material and delivery while growing their base of fans,” said Ben Miner, Canadian comic and host of SiriusXM’s Canada Laughs channel. “This year, SiriusXM is taking its search for the Next Top Comic to the next level with an even better grand prize – a chance for eight up-and-comers to win an all-expenses paid trip to perform live at the Just For Laughs JFL42 Festival in Toronto. Canada’s comedy scene is thriving and SiriusXM is proud to support it by showcasing the very best through this annual contest and on our Canadian comedy channel, Canada Laughs.”
SiriusXM will kick-off a seven city tour starting on June 10 in Toronto. Auditions from the tour will be recorded for broadcast on SiriusXM Canada’s uncensored comedy channel, Canada Laughs (channel 168).
How it Works
- Registration: Canadian comics can register to audition by submitting a video of their best performance on the Next Top Comic page.
- Audition: SiriusXM will select 12 of the best performances for live auditions in each of the seven eligible audition cities. Those who are invited to audition will receive a professionally-recorded and mixed audio file of their performance. A panel of judges will select the top three auditions in each city to move on to the Semi-Finals. All performances will be video recorded for use in future judging, voting and promotional use.
- Semi-Finals: Over a three-week period beginning July 15th, Canadians will be invited to vote online for their favourite performance in each city. Eight finalists will be selected based on the number of votes received in addition to one wildcard video selection. All of the eight finalists will be given a shot at comedy stardom with an opportunity to perform live at the Just For Laughs JFL42 Festival in Toronto. SiriusXM will provide the eight finalists with travel grants to cover transportation and accommodation in Toronto.
- Winner: Following their performances, judges will select one winner from the eight finalists for the title of Next Top Comic. The winner will take home $15,000 to support their comedic career development in addition to a SiriusXM radio and subscription.
Emerging Canadian comedy stars can register online for the chance to audition live in their city of choice:
- Toronto, ON – June 10, The Rivoli
- Kitchener, ON – June 13, Yuk Yuk’s
- Montreal, QC – June 17, Comedy Works
- Halifax, NS – June 19, Yuk Yuk’s
- Vancouver, BC – June 22, The Comedy Mix
- Calgary, AB – June 24, Comedy Monday Night (Broken City)
- Winnipeg, MB – June 25, Rumor’s Restaurant and Comedy Club
Previous winners of SiriusXM Canada’s Next Top Comic contest include Eric Andrews (2011), Matt O’Brien (2010) and Brian Stollery (2009).