Launching today for Windows 8 devices, Galactic Reign, a turn based space strategy game by Microsoft Game Studios and Slant Six Games, redefines the game experience through unique procedural cinematic rendering technology using the Slant Six Games Hexane™ game engine. The procedural rendering technology developed using the Hexane™ game engine, converts epic space battles within Galactic Reign into cinematic videos, using advanced rendering and special FX techniques.
“We are all thrilled to see Galactic Reign go live,” said Dan Scott, Producer for Galactic Reign at Slant Six Games. “The team worked very hard on this ground breaking and unique game and we are all very proud of the results.”
Using Hexane™, Slant Six Games created tools to facilitate the creation of an Action Library Database which contains over 1000 animation sequence templates, to construct exciting and accurate movies derived from the game battle data, providing a virtually unlimited number of movies which can be generated. A suitably thrilling musical score to complement the action is created by the audio engine using a library of audio themes by award winning composer Tom Salta.
The cinematic rendering process takes place within a minute or so, a delivers a battle reenactment video of movie quality that is unable to be rendered on a mobile device. Using cloud technology, multiple players can be served simultaneously, and each player is given a unique movie from their perspective, one is a winner and one will be a loser, as each player can have up to four fleets, one turn could mean a total of eight movies generated.
Galactic Reign is a two player turn-based strategy game set in space for the Windows 8 platform. Players can customize their ships and amass a veritable Armada to conquer the galaxy by taking control points or obliterating their opponent. With innovative rendering technology created by Slant Six Games, players are able to experience the battle cinematically through procedurally crafted movies. Galactic Reign offers a tailored game experience – player actions, strategy, and cinematics create a unique experience new to mobile platforms.
Galactic Reign is available now for $4.99 on Windows 8 devices and has been rated E for Everyone by the ESRB, with a sub-classification of Mild Fantasy Violence.
- Trial mode contains the entire game experience with a single species. Purchase the full version to unlock the other two.
- Experience the thrill of cinematic cloud-rendered battles.
- Play anywhere –battle your friends in online asynchronous multiplayer across Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7
- Choose from three different species, each with a unique look and arsenal.
- Scan your opponent’s ships and research new technology to take advantage of any weaknesses.
- Multiple win conditions bring depth to the strategy layer.
- Hours of training missions and single-player scenarios to teach you the ropes and put your skills to the test.
- Personalize the look of your fleet with color selections and decals.