Paramount Pictures and leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. have given fans the first look at the key villain to be featured in the upcoming Star Trek™ video game inspired by J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek (2009) film reboot. The announcement made at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), revealed that a legendary lizard-like race known in Trek lore as “The Gorn” will play the destructive and villainous role in the video game releasing in early 2013. The co-op game is based on a standalone storyline that continues the adventure of iconic characters Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock as they work together to stop the Gorn, an enemy race bent on conquering the galaxy.
“The Gorn are among the most iconic villians in the Star Trek universe and their role in this game certainly lives up to that persona,” said Brian Miller, Senior Vice President at Paramount Pictures and lead game producer. “Kirk and Spock find themselves in an incredibly challenging amount of mayhem as they confront the Gorn throughout the game.”
More than just lizard-skinned foes, the Gorn are a blood-thirsty race determined to conquer the galaxy. A true military dictatorship, the Gorn are made up of billions of self-sacrificing warriors across thousands of colonies, each focused on the conquest of alien races. By utilizing their chaos-causing infectious venom, the Gorn seed mayhem and destruction as they destroy populations and deplete planets of their resources.
“Great villains give our favorite characters a chance to become heroes in the process of attempting to eliminate a powerful threat, and Star Trek fans have been eagerly anticipating the moment when the antagonists of the game would be revealed,” said Carlson Choi, VP of Marketing at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “This is one of those moments and we couldn’t be more excited to give gamers a glimpse at the challenges that lie ahead for Kirk and Spock.”
The Gorn range in size and abilities, infecting their foes with venom that can poison, cause hallucinations, and even kill. From the smaller infantry Gorn Rushers, to the larger Gorn Warriors and the massive Gorn Brutes, the Gorn provides a serious direct threat, while the wall-climbing Gorn females showcase the cunning for which this race is feared. Technologically capable and possessing the antithesis of Federation ideals, the Gorn pose a devastating threat to Starfleet, the Enterprise, and its crew.
With a storyline occurring after the events of J.J. Abram’s 2009 Star Trek reboot, the Star Trek video game puts players in the shoes of seminal heroes Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, inviting them to work together to take on the ferocious Gorn in this epic action adventure. Built from the ground up as the ultimate co-op experience, players are set on a journey of immense proportions across unexplored planets and enemy battleships with the latest 23rd century weapons and gear. Kirk and Spock’s complementary personalities result in the most fully realized and varied co-op experience for this console generation.
Under a license from CBS Consumer Products, the game is being developed by Ontario-based studio Digital Extremes (Bioshock 2, Unreal Tournament, Dark Sector, The Darkness II) with production being overseen by Paramount Pictures and a scheduled release in early 2013 for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC. Follow Star Trek Game on Twitter for updates.
Authentic Trek Universe
- Meet The Crew – The 2009 Star Trek film cast will be contributing their voices for the game, including Chris Pine as Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Spock.
- Original Standalone Story – Set after the events of the Star Trek (2009) reboot, continue the sweeping journey through the new universe with a completely original story.
- Explore – Uncover new areas on the Enterprise and other ships, explore never-before-seen sectors throughout the galaxy including exotic planets, treacherous jungles, remote space stations and other locales.
Kirk / Spock Asymmetrical Co-op
- Ultimate Co-op – Built from the ground up as a co-op experience, Star Trek packs two vastly different gameplay styles and unique character abilities into one game. The result: the most fully realized and varied co-op experience of this console generation.
- Kirk And Spock Reborn – Play for the first time as two of the most well-known characters in science fiction, as only this new Star Trek game could allow. With the fate of the galaxy on the line, players must rely on each other to create a kick-ass team.
Epic Action Adventure
- The Gorn Return – Determined to conquer the galaxy, the Gorn returns as re-imagined versions of the classic Trek villains, infecting their foes with venom that can poison, cause hallucinations, and even kill. Ranging in size and abilities, the Gorn seed mayhem and destruction as they destroy populations and deplete planets of their resources.
- Scope And Variety –Authentic set pieces and ever-changing gameplay underscore the adventure in Star Trek. Hijack enemy battleships, jump precariously through zero G onto moving spaceships and Swim through subterranean waterways.
- 23rd Century Weapons – Star Trek employs a wide variety of weapons and gear, putting you in complete control of a huge load out of 23rd Century tech, including unique signature weapons for Kirk and Spock. Combined with your character’s special skills, every encounter, every no-win situation will turn out differently based on who, what and how you play.
Actors Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto who starred as Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock will reprise their roles in the Star Trek™ video game.
“We are thrilled to have these incredible actors, lending their voice to the legendary characters of Kirk and Spock in the video game realm,” said LeeAnne Stables, Paramount Pictures’ President of Consumer Products and head of the studio’s video game unit. “Players are in for a truly authentic experience with the combination of talent we have assembled bringing this action adventure game to life.”
In addition to Pine and Quinto, other actors from the 2009 film are depicted in the game including actress Zoe Saldana, in the role of Lieutenant Uhura, Simon Pegg as the benevolent Scotty, Karl Urban as the beloved Dr. “Bones” McCoy, John Cho as Sulu and Anton Yelchin as Chekov.
“There are certain elements at the core of Star Trek – insurmountable odds, exploration, villains like the Gorn and heroes like Kirk and Spock,” said Carlson Choi, VP of Marketing and NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “Our goal is to pull gamers as deep into the Star Trek universe as possible and an integral part of that is the talent that make these characters their own.”
The game’s original story is being penned by BAFTA award winner and God of War writer Marianne Krawczyk in collaboration with Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, writers and producers for the upcoming Star Trek film. Built from the ground up as the ultimate co-op experience, the Star Trek video game lets players control both Kirk and Spock in a sweeping journey of epic proportions across unexplored planets and enemy battleships with the latest 23rd century weapons and gear. Kirk and Spock’s complementary personalities result in the most fully realized and varied co-op experiences for this console generation.