Research In Motion Limited subsidiary QNX Software Systems Limited, a provider of software platforms for connected embedded systems, has announced new preferred partnerships with LS Research and Silex Technology to develop and co-market wireless connectivity solutions for embedded systems based on the award-winning QNX® Neutrino®Realtime Operating System (RTOS).
The partnerships aim to bring mobile-class wireless connectivity features to a new generation of embedded systems, for applications ranging from medical diagnostics and patient monitoring to secure portable computing and industrial automation. Enabling best-in-class 802.11 Wi-Fi® solutions is the starting point for this new approach to partnering with industry connectivity leaders and is part of a longer-term strategy that intends to simplify Bluetooth®, Bluetooth low energy wireless technology, Long Term Evolution (LTE), and Zigbee® design for QNX developers.
QNX Software Systems and its partners plan to offer integrated solutions based on the following components:
- QNX Neutrino RTOS, a highly scalable fault-tolerant operating system, field-proven in a wide variety of embedded systems including medical devices, multimedia tablets, in-car infotainment systems, Internet routers, wind turbines, and railway control systems.
- Reference implementations pre-validated by QNX Software Systems. These initial implementations will include select connectivity modules from LS Research and Silex that are compatible with a variety of popular ARM-based SOCs:
- LS Research COM6L-BLE wireless evaluation module (EM) board based on Texas Instruments’ WL1271L silicon, compatible with the TI AM335x EVM and the TiWi adapter card for DM3730 (Beagle XM) development boards. Supports Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n with optional Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and includes a standard SDIO interface that can be adapted to other hardware platforms.
- Silex wireless modules based on the Qualcomm Atheros AR6003 Wi-Fi chip, compatible with Freescale i.MX28 and i.MX53 processors. Supports Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n and includes standard SDIO and USB interfaces with optional PCIE interfaces.
- Module and antenna design and certification services from partners LS Research and Silex Technology.
- First-line technical support from QNX Software Systems to help enable developers to speed product design and commercialization.
“We’re pleased to provide support for QNX Software Systems’ wireless connectivity solutions based on the company’s world-class operating system,” said Theresa Benson, global business development manager, LS Research. “We’re also excited to join the rapidly growing QNX partner ecosystem, which offers great opportunities for collaboration and innovation.”
“Silex Technology is responding to strong market demand from the QNX customer base to add Wi-Fi technology based on the game-changing Qualcomm Atheros AR6003 radio,” stated Keith Sugawara, vice president of business development, Silex. “We are excited to offer QNX customers a combined solution that includes hardware, driver, and security-supplicant software and support.”
“With an explosion in demand for cloud-enabled devices, machine-to-machine communications, and other connected equipment, we’ve recognized that it’s time to bring the best-in-class connectivity experience associated with mobile devices to a broad range of embedded systems,” stated Grant Courville, director of product management, QNX Software Systems. “Our history in the development of embedded systems and experience in developing OS technology for mobile devices such as tablets and handsets gives us the expertise to help make connected device design easier and more accessible for embedded systems developers.”