The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) is hosting a national event on the future of the Internet in Canada with a full audience at the Westin Ottawa. If you’re not able to attend, you can follow the Twitter hashtag #CIRAif for live tweets.
At the Canadian Internet Forum (CIF), CIRA is presenting the findings from a three-month online dialogue with Canadians about the development of the Internet. A panel of experts will discuss the results, with topics including digital literacy, online security and safety and Internet policy and governance. Well-known Canadian entrepreneur, author and star of CBC’s the Dragons’ Den and ABC’s Shark Tank Robert Herjavec will deliver the keynote address.
“As digital citizens, we have not only a right to have our voice heard, but a duty to use that voice,” said CIRA’s president and CEO Byron Holland. “The CIF provides that venue by providing Canadians with the opportunity to engage in a dialogue about how the Internet should develop.”
The event’s expert panel includes:
- Steve Anderson, Founder and Executive Director, OpenMedia.ca
- Bertrand de La Chapelle, Program Director, International Diplomatic Academy and ICANN Board Member
- Captain Frédérick Gaudreau, Sûreté du Québec
- Dr. Michael Geist, Law Professor, University of Ottawa
- Bill Graham, Consultant on International Internet Policy and ICANN Board Member
- Jane Tallim, Co-Executive Director, Media Awareness Network
Findings from the CIF, including the online discussion forum and this national event, will be presented to the United Nations coordinated Internet Governance Forum, a venue for stakeholders to discuss the future of the Internet.