Intelligent broadband network solutions provider Sandvine has launched the latest version of Fairshare Traffic Management, a turn-key product for mobile congestion management and analytics that maximizes users’ quality of experience and extends the life of network infrastructure investment. Sandvine’s Fairshare Traffic Management 4.0 introduces a new dynamic control system which measures the achieved network quality and acts to maximize it.
The latest version of Fairshare Traffic Management interoperates with third-party vendors to offer “mobility- awareness”. True mobility-awareness can accurately identify a moving subscriber’s cell location, dynamically evaluate the congestion level of the cell and apply traffic management policies in real-time, in order to alleviate any congestion. This is the only solution that offers true mobility-awareness; competing products can identify the initial location where the mobile subscriber’s device connected, but not subsequent network locations to which the subscriber has moved.
Sandvine’s Fairshare Traffic Management 4.0 for mobile enables:
- Sector-based congestion management based on dynamic congestion detection capabilities, superior to statically-provisioned cell capacity
- Fair-use network policies to maintain the highest quality of experience during times of congestion for the maximum number of users’ interactive applications
- Real-time network location-based policies such as charging, advertising and communications
- Support for location-based pricing for mobile data to create bundled and tiered services that match subscriber usage, dependant on the subscriber’s location
- Location- aware network analytics and reporting that provides visibility of the impact of congestion management policies and supports proactive network capacity planning
“Sandvine has been a leader in congestion management for the past decade. Our latest version of Fairshare Traffic Management brings a powerful and dynamic congestion control system that works in concert with our policy decision and enforcement capabilities,” said Don Bowman, CTO, Sandvine. “Operators can cost-effectively manage their mobile networks to deliver optimal performance without resorting to crude approximations such as daily or hourly network-wide traffic management policies.”
Sandvine’s Network Policy Control is a complete system that gives mobile operators visibility of application traffic, per-subscriber usage, device identification and network congestion. This data powers the integrated policy decision and enforcement engine, enabling a myriad of solutions for service providers, such as fair-use management policies, network capacity planning, and tailored, tiered service plans. Sandvine’s Fairshare Traffic Management product has been deployed in over 50 service provider networks worldwide in 2011 alone to address congestion management across all access technologies.
Sandvine has also won five new broadband service provider customers, including two that purchased Sandvine’s market-leading Network Analytics product.
“Sandvine’s Network Analytics is a powerful enabler for our customers, who want to leverage the kind of business level insight that standard reporting tools don’t provide,” said Tom Donnelly, Sandvine’s COO Global Sales and Service. “Network Analytics allows operators to use real-time information to create differentiated service offerings that satisfy rapidly evolving consumer demands. Innovative service offerings allow operators to ensure efficient utilization of network resources while giving consumers the opportunity to tailor plans to match their Internet usage, whether for real-time streaming media, gaming or social networking, for example.”
The new customer orders reflect the breadth of Sandvine’s network policy control capabilities and include:
- Usage Management, to help service providers move from all-you-can-eat data plans to consumption-based service tiers;
- Traffic Management, to allocate network resources fairly and efficiently during times of network congestion;
- Application-specific Traffic Divert to third-party optimization solutions, including video optimization and content caching.
The new customers are located in the United States, Western Europe and Asia, and involved various access technologies: DSL, mobile, and converged fixed/wireless networks.
For more information on Fairshare Traffic Management and other Sandvine products, visit Mobile World Congress booth 2H57 from Feb 27-March 1.