This February, Corus Entertainment’s W Network presents the premiere of the anticipated new series from Alliance Films, Undercover Boss Canada (10 x 60) which follows 10 executives as they leave the comfort of their offices to go undercover as entry-level employees in their own companies. Produced in association with W Network, Undercover Boss Canada premieres Thursday, February 2 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
With an equal representation of both male and female executives from some of Canada’s biggest corporations, the series follows the “undercover bosses” as they stealthily join the ranks of their own unsuspecting workforce. From Molson Coors Canada and Pizza Pizza to the Toronto Transit Commission and FedEx Express Canada, each episode features an executive who is transformed into a frontline worker with a covert disguise and a back story. Working alongside their employees, each “boss” takes an often emotional journey, discovering the effects their decisions have on others, the perception of the company, and who the unsung heroes of their workforce are. Most importantly, they learn how to apply what they have gained from the experience – both for their company and for themselves.
“From watching CEOs fumble in frontline jobs, to the remarkable impact the experience has had on these executives and their companies, Undercover Boss Canada is both a fun and riveting ride with many surprising twists,” said Vibika Bianchi, Vice President, Original Programming, Lifestyle, Reality, Factual Entertainment, Corus Entertainment. “We are thrilled to bring this U.S. and U.K. smash hit to Canadian audiences on W Network.”
“When I discussed this project with the team at Alliance, we immediately agreed on the importance of moving it forward. By secretly inserting CEOs with their dedicated workers we see something truly unique and wonderful; not only does the boss set out to see how their organizations can actually run better, but we get to see how they can make a truly meaningful change in the lives of the people there and how these emotional journeys transform them,” said Thomas Howe, Executive Producer.
Below is a list of eight of the companies and executives participating in the series this season. Two additional companies will be announced at a later date.
- The Toronto Zoo – CEO John Tracogna goes undercover at Canada’s largest zoo to get up close and personal with endangered wildlife and the people that keep the organization running.
- Pizza Pizza – CEO Paul Goddard goes undercover in the nation’s number one pizza mega brand, and learns that making dough and delivering pizza serves up some challenges he never imagined.
- 1-800-GOT-JUNK? – Founder and CEO Brian Scudamore goes undercover as a driver and junk collector, hauling loads of unwanted clutter in the world’s largest junk removal franchise, and comes out collecting something much more valuable.
- Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) – City Councillor and TTC Chair Karen Stintz goes undercover inside the country’s largest mass transit system to get her hands dirty with some of the toughest and grittiest jobs.
- Molson Coors Canada – With CEO Dave Perkins being too recognizable for the job, Chief Legal Officer Kelly Brown steps in to see what’s brewing and gets down to the basics of beer production in Canada’s oldest and most famous brewery.
- Second Cup – Stacey Mowbray, CEO of Canada’s largest specialty coffee company goes undercover and gets into the grind serving lattes to get an edge on customer service and revive her connection with frontline workers.
- Cineplex Entertainment – CEO Ellis Jacob goes undercover doling out snacks and tickets while assessing how to enhance the moviegoer experience within Canada’s largest motion picture exhibitor across the board.
- FedEx Express Canada – Lisa Lisson, the first female president of FedEx Express Canada, goes undercover to find out if her employees have the right resources to provide exceptional service in the fiercely competitive courier industry.
Undercover Boss Canada is based on the format devised by Studio Lambert, part of the ALL3MEDIA group of companies. Undercover Boss has been seen in over 175 territories to date through sales of the UK and USA show and as a format sale – ALL3MEDIA International will also take responsibility for marketing the Canadian show to other broadcasters internationally.
This series will be supported with a four-week marketing campaign beginning Monday, January 30 with a focus on major markets including Toronto and Vancouver. The campaign will feature out-of-home, radio, newspaper and Facebook as well as exposure across Corus specialty channels and websites. Support will also include a 10 week contest, The Undercover Boss Canada Ultimate Giveaway, beginning Monday, January 30, which will feature prizing from each of the 10 participating companies. Viewers can to enter to win prizes such as free movies for a year from Cineplex and free pizza for a year from Pizza Pizza.