Up to six producers from across Canada will be selected to participate in the Whistler Film Festival‘s 2015 Feature Project Lab, an intense two-phase business and creative content development experience for Canadian producers. New for 2015, Phase I will take place over four days from June 21 to June 24 and includes four months of ongoing feedback and project development with advisors. Phase II includes a four-day follow up from December 1 to 4 during the Whistler Film Festival + Summit.
Focused on strengthening dramatic feature projects from script to screen, the WFF Feature Project Lab is intended to advance a producer’s dramatic feature project, and facilitate relationships and investment in feature film projects that have US and international appeal. It’s all about getting content made! Imagine meeting, work-shopping, brainstorming and networking in Whistler, North America’s top mountain resort with key industry experts who aim to help you tap into significant opportunities for your latest project.
If selected you will receive individual and project specific feedback through a series of one-on-one sessions with Advisors, as well as group sessions in order to strengthen your ability to position your project for investment. Feedback will include everything from where to take the script to next, to what changes the project and package may require to attract investors outside of Canada, and what market resources are available to producers looking for US interest.
You will also explore your own creative take on your project and develop skills and a process for evaluating, developing, and implementing your material to reflect these ideas, and examine conventional and alternative distribution strategies, and learn what you need to do to stay relevant as media distribution platforms continue to evolve. Scripts will be discussed alongside issues such as creative imperatives, marketplace valuation and production challenges.
- Once your project has been selected, you will receive initial feedback on your package and discuss strategies with Lab Facilitators prior to the Lab.
- At the Lab, you will receive strategic advice and packaging feedback from:
- International market experts and sales agents who have relationships with US and International Partners
- Select Distributors and Financiers most relevant to the projects
- Experts in alternative distribution
- You will be booked into both individual and group meetings with each advisor.
- The Lab Facilitators will lead guest sessions, debrief with you after each session, discuss next steps that will help you determine how best to implement you project specific feedback and advice.
- The Lab will also prep you for application to and/or attendance at key markets.
- After leaving the lab, you will continue to work with the facilitators and advisors to build a revised package reflecting the strategic advice and creative counsel received.
- Increased abilities to effectively pitch yourself and your project to various US and international industry members at the Whistler Film Festival (if accepted to Phase II).
- Pitching bootcamp and opportunities to directly pitch your project to US sales agents.
- Access to an extended network of industry professionals attending the Whistler Summit.
- A significantly expanded network of international experts, and ideally leave with new investment interest.
How To Apply:
- Fully read the Application Guidelines.
- Create your application package
- Pay the $50 submission fee online when you complete the Application Form.
|Deadlines||Feature Lab Project – Phase I|
|March 26||Call for Applications|
|April 24||Application Deadline|
|May 4 – 8||Final producers and projects invited and announced (up to 6) along with Industry Advisors.|
|May 11 – June 5||Selected producers receive feedback on their package and a proposed strategy is discussed so they can revise package if need be.|
|June 15||Deadline for producers to resubmit revised materials that are sent off to consultants/advisors to prep.|
|June 21 – 24||WFF Feature Project Lab takes place in Whistler, B.C. (Sunday – Wednesday)|
|June 30||Deadline for producers to follow up with lab facilitators and experts|
|July 31||Check-ins by the end of the month with the producers to assess progress of their action & resubmission plan as required.|
|September 1||Producers receive feedback on any revisions to their package to date. A proposed strategy is discussed so they can further revise package and outreach as required.|
|October 1||Deadline for producers to resubmit revised materials. These materials will be reviewed by the Industry Advisors.|
|Deadlines||Feature Lab Project – Phase II|
|October 15||Producers deemed eligible to advance to Phase II are notified.|
|December 1 – 4||Selected producers will be invited to experience the Whistler Film Festival + Summit. Here they will receive feedback on their revised package as well as the opportunity to meet and pitch their projects to international sales agents.
** Discounted room nights are available for participants who want to stay in Whistler for the remainder of WFF15 on December 4 and 5 if booked by October 31, 2015