Telefilm Canada Puts Canadian Talent Under The Spotlight At 38th Toronto International Film Festival
This year, Telefilm Canada is stepping up its presence at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) with two new initiatives to promote our audiovisual talent. The new Telefilm Canada T Lounge, at the heart of the Festival Industry Centre, and the launch of the Birks Diamond Tribute to the Year’s Women in Film, will complement Telefilm’s other major events, including the 3rd annual editions of the Talent to Watch series and the Eye on TIFF in New York City.
Telefilm is again partnering with TIFF on several highly successful, veteran events. Back for its 14th straight year, Telefilm Canada PITCH THIS! encourages emerging talent and the creation of new projects; TIFF Rising Stars, is an initiative designed to help discover the next generation of Canadian actors; Talent Lab, is a professional development workshop; and Filmmaker Boot Camp, is a training activity for filmmakers. Telefilm is also developing a social media campaign (#CanadaTIFF) and a microsite that will feature the films and their trailers as well as the producers selected at the Festival so as to foster sales, partnerships and coproductions.
“Thanks to TIFF’s strong brand and reputation, movie lovers worldwide will have their eyes set on Canada. For this reason, TIFF provides an excellent platform to attract the attention of the industry and the public,” said Carolle Brabant, Executive Director of Telefilm Canada. “Telefilm’s roster of activities, including the new initiative with Birks, is clearly focused on promoting new talent and our Canadian productions.”
“Telefilm Canada is an ideal partner for TIFF,” said Piers Handling, Director and CEO, TIFF. “They share our commitment to the industry and to filmmakers at all stages of their careers. Through Telefilm Canada’s innovative programming they continue to find new ways to showcase Canadian film and fimmakers at home and on the world stage.”
- T Lounge – In the Festival Industry Centre, film teams will be able to use the T Lounge to showcase their productions. Telefilm Canada’s T Lounge will serve as their meeting hub with the international industry. In addition, an interactive terminal will let users browse Telefilm’s microsite. The T Lounge will be available September 4 to 15, 2013 at the Toronto Hyatt Regency Hotel.
- Birks Diamond Tribute to the Year’s Women in Film in partnership with Telefilm Canada – New this year, the Birks Diamond Tribute to the Year’s Women in Film in partnership with Telefilm Canada will announce the winners selected by a Canada-wide committee of film critics and journalists. September 11, 2013, 4 PM (red carpet) – Birks, 55 Bloor St West.
- Filmmaker Boot Camp – Expanding on the resounding success of the Filmmaker Boot Camp, TIFF, in partnership with Telefilm, returns with its training event dedicated to filmmakers, which kicks off the Festival’s year-round industry programming.
The Boot Camp will be held at the TIFF Bell Lightbox, Cinema 4 on August 8, 2013 from 9 AM – 7 PM.
- Telefilm Canada Eye on TIFF – Telefilm’s Eye on TIFF in New York City is an exclusive pre-Festival mixer between Canadian film teams and the New York acquisitions and exhibition community. This is a chance for key decision-makers to meet Canada’s talent to watch and to get a sneak peak at what Canada has to offer at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. A show reel of approximately 10 films will be presented during the event, which takes place on August 21, 2013, 6 PM – 8 PM at the Crosby Street Hotel Cinema, New York
- Telefilm Canada Talent to Watch – Launched in 2011, the Talent to Watch series showcases a diversity of Canadian talent, in attendance at TIFF, who have the opportunity to share their knowledge and experience.
September 6, 9 and 10, 2013, 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM in the Filmmakers’ Lounge, Toronto Hyatt Regency Hotel.
- Telefilm Canada PITCH THIS! Taking place on September 9, 2013, 1 PM to 2 PM with the announcement of winning team at 2:45 PM, Telefilm Canada PITCH THIS! is back for a 14th straight year. Six film teams have six minutes to pitch their feature film idea to a live audience of over 200 industry professionals. The winners, selected by a jury of international industry experts, are awarded $15,000 from Telefilm Canada to develop their script.
- TIFF Rising Stars – Telefilm is a partner of TIFF Rising Stars, an initiative designed to discover the next generation of Canadian actors. During the 2013 edition of the Festival, TIFF Rising Stars will showcase four Canadian actors, who have proven themselves ready to expand their film careers beyond Canada to the world. Evelyne Brochu, Cara Gee, Megan Park, and Johnathan Sousa will receive intensive professional development and mentoring from casting directors, agents, managers, producers and filmmakers.
- Talent Lab – Telefilm is partnering with Talent Lab, a professional development workshop that provides emerging talent with an unparalleled opportunity to learn from the world’s best film artists. Talent Lab leads participants in group discussions on a range of topics focused on the artistic side of filmmaking, honing the skills of a new generation of filmmakers.
- Spotlighting Canadian talent at the Festival – A microsite will go live on August 21. This site will feature profiles on Canadian producers and directors with a film at the Festival as well as information sheets and trailers on each Canadian film at TIFF. Upcoming projects from producers are also in the spotlight in order to help foster partnership and coproduction activity during the Festival.
Telefilm is dedicated to the cultural, commercial and industrial success of Canada’s audiovisual industry. Through its various funding and promotion programs, Telefilm supports dynamic companies and creative talent here at home and around the world. Telefilm also administers the programs of the Canada Media Fund. You can also find Telefilm on Twitter and Facebook.