Calgary’s Sage Board Games  has announced the release of Reiner Knizia’s Tigris & Euphrates  onto iOS and now Google Play. Tigris & Euphrates is one of the most well-known board games in the genre, having won the prestigious 1997 Meeples’ Choice Award, 1998 Deutscher Spiele Preis Best Family/Adult Game Winner and 1998 Spiel des Jahres Recommended. It is also widely considered to be Reiner Knizia’s masterpiece. The European-style game relies heavily on strategy and player interaction and was well received on iOS devices.
Reiner Knizia’s Tigris & Euphrates features the same rules, graphics and gameplay as the classic board game. The game is set in the ancient fertile crescent. Within the game, players build civilizations through the placement of tiles such as markets, temples, farms or settlements. Tigris & Euphrates is one of the highest ranking board games on the App Store and has won multiple awards and recognition including the 2011 iOS Board Game Awards.
- Visually stunning graphics utilizing traditional board game design
- Immersive theme music and the option to integrate your own music playlist
- Full tutorial and in-game hints
- Support for three modes of play
- Solo play with varying degrees of AI difficulty
- “Pass and play” with 2 to 4 local human players with or without AI
- Asynchronous online multiplayer (iOS only)
Your goal is to develop all 4 of the key spheres of civilization: Settlements, Temples, Farms, and Markets. To do this, you will position your leaders, create and extend kingdoms, build monuments, and resolve conflicts. Tension arises when kingdoms connect and leaders clash on the board, with only one leader of each type surviving. You will thus aquire victory points in each of the four spheres. The winner is the player who develops their civilization in the most balanced way, without revealing a sphere of weakness.
How to play:
During their turn, the active player may carry out up to two of the following actions, in any order:
- Position (place, move or remove) a leader.
- Place a tile and earn a victory point.
- Place a catastrophe tile.
- Swap up to 6 tiles
The active player may choose two different actions, or the same action twice.
Reiner Knizia’s Tigris & Euphrates is available for download on
- The iTunes App Store  for $4.99 (USD), where it is rated 4+. The game is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad devices running iOS 3.0 or later
- Google Play  for $3.99 (USD) where it is rated Low Maturity. The game is compatible with devices running Android 2.3 and up
It is also available for Google Play for $3.99.