Sierra Wireless  has introduced the industry’s most advanced architecture for embedded wireless communications, designed to vastly simplify and accelerate the development and deployment of M2M solutions. The architecture will be available across 2G to 4G technologies in the next generation of AirPrime ™ embedded wireless modules, which are the world’s first to be equipped with:
- Powerful multicore processor with dedicated application core and integrated M2M functionality that simplifies system design, lowers total system cost, and dramatically reduces power consumption
- Built-in connectivity to secure cloud services, providing simple integration of machine data with enterprise applications and convenient remote management that scales easily to millions of devices
- Open application framework with ready-to-use building blocks, including a substantial set of M2M libraries and development tools that save time for embedded software developers and help them get their products to market more quickly
This entire M2M ecosystem on a module is a major step forward in simplifying the integration of embedded wireless communications; thereby enabling developers to spend more time on developing their core application and business model, and spend less time on the challenges of integrating wireless communications, significantly speeding time to market.
“While we are seeing rapid growth in the number and types of devices that include integrated wireless connections, the complexity of building and deploying those devices and their related applications remains a key issue for M2M developers,” said Didier Dutronc, Senior Vice President, M2M Embedded Solutions for Sierra Wireless. “Leveraging processing capabilities and dedicated M2M functionality inside the wireless module, as well as pre-integrated cloud services, provides our customers with a simpler, faster, and more cost-effective way to develop and deploy their M2M solutions.”
The 2G versions of the next generation AirPrime modules are powered by the world’s first dedicated M2M system-on-a-chip. Built in collaboration with ARM, it integrates a comprehensive set of M2M-specific interfaces with an advanced tri-core architecture that includes a 2G EDGE modem, a dedicated high-speed ARM application processor, and a unique implementation of the ARM Cortex-M0 processor to enable ultra-low power operation.
“Machine-to-machine communications is a rapidly growing segment with highly specialized, complex requirements that can vary widely with end application,” said Laurence Bryant, Director of Mobile Solutions, ARM. “Sierra Wireless brings a fresh approach to enable the customization needed in a diverse market by providing an open development environment based on a dedicated Cortex-M0 processor.”
The 3G/4G LTE versions of the new AirPrime modules will utilize Qualcomm Technologies’ Gobi 9×15 chipset, which is a multi-mode modem solution that integrates all the modes of 3G and 4G LTE. With a dedicated ARM Cortex A5 processor with Linux support, these integrated chipsets from Qualcomm Technologies can also host the most robust customer M2M applications.
“Qualcomm’s technology innovations power the connected world of today, from smartphones, laptops and tablets, to a range of other devices that make up the rapidly expanding Internet of Everything,” said Nakul Duggal, Vice President, New Markets, Qualcomm Technologies. “We are pleased to collaborate with Sierra Wireless to offer solutions to M2M customers that utilize the various capabilities of our chipsets, from the 3G and 4G connectivity that today’s applications require, to the integrated, dedicated application processors that can simplify wireless integration, reduce system cost and speed time to market.”
Seamless integration with the AirVantage® M2M Cloud further reduces the effort and cost to develop, deploy, and operate new M2M solutions. AirVantage offers a secure, scalable device-to-cloud infrastructure and state-of-the-art, globally distributed data centers, and is available in two components:
- AirVantage Enterprise Platform can be used to collect, transmit, and store machine data, and process and schedule events, from any number of devices, across any network operator around the world. Solution developers can use AirVantage Enterprise Platform APIs, based on the latest cloud API standards, to quickly integrate that machine data with their own enterprise applications and back-end systems.
- AirVantage Management Service can be used to centrally deploy and monitor AirPrime embedded modules, including configuring device settings, delivering firmware and embedded application updates, and administering airtime subscriptions across global networks; making managing a million wireless devices as easy as managing ten.
Building on a track record of more than 10 years and millions of devices deployed, Sierra Wireless continues to lead the industry in offering advanced open application framework technology – including operating systems designed for M2M applications, a comprehensive set of software libraries, and a powerful, easy-to-use integrated development environment – to rapidly accelerate embedded software development for M2M solutions. Next generation AirPrime modules will offer both the industry leading Open AT® application framework, as well as Linux support, further unlocking the power of the multicore processor architecture and providing built-in connectivity to the AirVantage M2M Cloud.
The AirPrime WP Series, built on the new architecture, will offer the most optimized solution to integrate wireless communications into virtually any industrial-grade device, targeted broadly at a vast number of M2M applications, such as smart metering, remote monitoring, transportation, security systems, networking, and healthcare. The automotive-grade offering, an extension to the AirPrime AR Series, will provide powerful and robust in-vehicle connectivity and is designed to meet demanding automotive manufacturing standards while reducing integration complexity. Samples of the modules are expected to be available beginning in the second quarter of this year.
Sierra Wireless and ARM will demonstrate the new module architecture and its benefits for M2M application developers this week at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, and at Embedded World, in Nuremburg, Germany. View the demonstration in the ARM exhibit at Mobile World Congress, found in Hall 6, Stand 6A31, or at the Sierra Wireless exhibit at Embedded World, found in Hall 4A, Stand 224.
To contact the Sierra Wireless Sales Desk, call +1 (604) 232-1488 or visit them online .