The Canada Media Fund, Telefilm Canada and the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) have announced the creation of a Working Group resulting from industry leaders’ feedback at the Symposium on the Promotion of Canadian Films and Television Programs in Canada and Internationally. The Working Group will promote the increasing success of Canadian film, television and digital media with a principal focus on the Canadian market. The intent is to show how much Canadian innovative screen-based content is now watched and enjoyed by Canadian audiences and to propose solutions on how to build on past, current and future successes to increase awareness of our media products.
Members of the working group include:
- Barbara Williams (Co-chair, Shaw Media)
- Michael Hennessy (Co-chair, Canadian Media Production Association (CMPA)
- Trish Dolman (Screen Siren Pictures Inc.)
- Claude Galipeau (Galipeau Group)
- Gavin McGarry (Jumpwire Media)
- Robin Mirsky-Daniels (Rogers)
- Brad Pelman (Pelman Corp. Consultants)
- Mary Powers (MPowers Communications)
- Serge Sasseville (Québecor Média)
- Helga Stevenson (Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television)
The Working Group will focus on developing a strategy to increase audiences in the Canadian marketplace by creating promotional opportunities that complement efforts of broadcasters, distributors and producers. The strategy will be geared directly toward engaging consumers as audience and collaborating with industry stakeholders, such as broadcasters, producers, distributors, directors, writers, and actors, as well as federal and provincial funding agencies in a joint promotional effort. The strategy will leverage social media campaign and other platforms to promote Canadian success stories.
A draft of the overall promotional and branding strategies will be presented at the Canadian Media Production Association’s (CMPA) Prime Time in Ottawa conference in March.