Check out this Business Opportunity from BCTIA  and Discovery Parks  – The Generator  is based on the concept that free-flowing ideas, minimal barriers and a belief in serendipity accelerate the growth and success of technology companies. Early-stage technology-based companies, preferably based in Vancouver and who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply for this program. Deadline for entries is 5pm PST on December 14th 2012.
Business Applicant Criteria:
- A business plan with a credible business concept and development strategy for the next three years
- Sufficient financing in place for at least the next 12 months
- Strong financial, human resource and leadership expertise and capacity
- Up to 1,000 sqft of fully furnished workspace (office and/or cubicles) with internet connectivity and up to two phones per company for twelve months at no cost (with certain limits on extreme internet and phone use) at Discovery Parks Vancouver – 887 Great Northern Way. Bring your computers, supplies, and start working.
- Memberships with LifeSciences BC and/or the BC Technology Industry Association with access to their mentors and programs including the “Centre 4 Growth “.
- A work environment of like-minded entrepreneurs and perhaps a few non-like-minded.
- Introductions and networking opportunities with the other technology companies resident in Discovery Parks Vancouver.
- Invitations to technology industry events.
- Free coffee. Yes – all the caffeine you can handle.
- Access to copying, scanning, and printing on a fee basis.
- Building amenities at Discovery Parks Vancouver include meeting rooms, an on-site café and fitness centre. Conveniently located near the VCC Clark Skytrain Station and bus routes.
How To Apply
- Submit your business plan in PDF format (no more than 5 pages long) addressed to Discovery Parks via email to lauracassin[at]discoveryparks[dot]com.
- Business plans ideally should explain your:
- business concept
- technological advantages (including how you will protect your intellectual property)
- people (your current team and if you expect the size of your team to change over the course of the year)
- potential exit strategy
Submission Judging Criteria:
- A panel of judges from the BC Technology Industry Association, Life Sciences BC, the Vancouver Economic Commission and Discovery Parks will evaluate the applications.
- The judges will review all of the business plans submitted. Applicants will then be short-listed for an in-person presentation/interview “Dragons’ Den” style.
- While no formal scoring criteria will be used by the judges, the most important criterion will be their perception of which applicants are most likely to succeed and grow.
- Generator Open House – November 28th from 1pm-4pm. Come visit Discovery Parks, see the space, meet the team and have your questions answered.
- Business Plan Submission Deadline – December 14th at 5pm.
- Short-listed applicants will be contacted mid January regarding the interview date.
- Winners announced beginning of February.
- Move-in April 1, 2013.
Our philosophy is to set you up as best we can in the physical space and then let you get down to work and we stay out of your way. However, should you want our assistance, we are happy to provide any support we can. All we require in return are quarterly reports on the following milestones and metrics so we can measure if this concept works:
- Growth projections in terms of product, revenue and employees
- How you intend to secure additional financing
- How you will make the transition from free rent to paying market rent after 12 months
- A description of your linkages and collaborations with universities and industry associations
- A description of how you intend to develop relationships with other companies in the Generator and the rest of Discovery Parks Vancouver
- Number of team members, current and anticipated, over the 12 months
Each successful applicant will be required to sign a 12-month lease with Discovery Parks that includes these reporting requirements. Generator tenants are required to move out of the Generator at the end of their 12 months to make space for the next cohort.
Further questions? Shoot Discovery Parks an email at lauracassin[at]discoveryparks[dot]com.