eBay Canada put out the call today for sellers to enter its 8th annual eBay Canada Entrepreneur of the Year Awards, a program that recognizes and rewards Canada’s most successful and innovative eBay sellers. This year, in addition to the highly-coveted Entrepreneur of the Year Award, Canada will also crown winners in two new categories: Fashion-preneur and International-preneur of the Year.
For over a decade, eBay – the world’s largest online marketplace – has connected Canadian sellers to millions of buyers across the country and around the world, helping them to explore opportunities and succeed in the world of online commerce. eBay is changing the way Canadians shop and has supported the Canadian economy by facilitating billions of dollars worth of online transactions. Last year alone, Canadians sold an item approximately every 2.2 seconds on the site.
Sellers who meet eBay requirements are welcome to submit their entries online by end of day Sunday, August 19, 2012 for a chance to win in one of the three categories:
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award: The highly sought-after prize will go to a seller who has built a successful online business. The 2012 winner will exemplify eBay sellers who, in the face of challenges, achieve their business goals by understanding their market and delighting their customers.
- NEW! Fashion-preneur of the Year Award: eBay has long been a destination for Canadian fashionistas – whether for the latest designer looks or vintage finds – and this award will recognize a seller who has combined an eye for fashion with savvy business practices to build an enviable eBay business.
- NEW! International-preneur of the Year Award: As the world’s largest online marketplace, eBay provides Canadian sellers with seamless access to global markets. This award will recognize an eBay seller who has tailored their business to address the needs of buyers from around the world, and in so doing, has unlocked the potential of international ecommerce.
“eBay is proud to offer a platform in which Canadians can build and grow their business,” said Andrea Stairs, country manager for eBay Canada. “Every year we look forward to showcasing our most successful sellers, and in doing so, championing small business in Canada.”
In 2011, eBay Canada crowned Myriam Barreiro Entrepreneur of the Year, a dedicated seller of discounted, brand name cameras and video equipment. In 2004, Myriam started buying and selling on eBay and was immediately impressed by the opportunities offered – instant exposure to a huge, international market. At the end of 2008, she had left her full-time career to run her eBay business from the comfort of her own home, allowing Myriam to eliminate overhead costs and pass the savings directly on to her buyers. In the first 12 months, she sold $300,000 worth of camera and video equipment accessories, and her business continues to grow.
The Entrepreneur of the Year Awards program is open to full- and part-time eBay sellers aged 18 years and older. All entrants will be considered for the “Fashion-preneur of the Year” and the “International-preneur of the Year” categories, if applicable.
Along with bragging rights, the Entrepreneur of the Year will win $3,000 and the Fashion-preneur of the Year and International-preneur of the Year will each receive $2,000. All three winners will also enjoy promotion of their eBay business to more than two-million online buyers.
- Entrants must meet eligibility criteria and answer essay questions in order to enter the competition.
- Entries must be received by midnight (ET) on August 19, 2012.
- Winners will be announced during Canadian Small Business Month in October.