With Darksiders II  just weeks from its August 14th release, THQ Inc.  has launched the Darksiders® II Soul Harvest ™ app on the App StoreTM for iOS devices in the U.S. and Canada. The free app allows users to “harvest the souls” of others who check into nearby locations on Facebook. App users also can enter to win daily Darksiders II prizes with a chance to win a “Trip to the End of the World.”
Soul Harvest users will compete with their friends within North America to be the top harvester via an in-app leaderboard. Fans also will collect reward tokens as they reach new soul-harvesting thresholds, unlocking bonuses such as an in-game weapon, the first issue of the Darksiders digital comic, mobile backgrounds and access to trailers and other footage from the game. In addition to the exclusive in-app items, users have the chance to win daily prizes, such as a full-sized replica of Death’s scythe from the game (see rules and regulations below). Daily winners are automatically entered into the grand prize drawing for a trip to the Yucatan Peninsula, the seat of Mayan civilization and home to the Chicxculub crater, purportedly where the asteroid struck that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
The Soul Harvest app has been released in partnership with Best Buy, which is supporting it with in-store and online marketing activity. As part of the partnership, players who “reap” souls that have checked into Best Buy stores receive a bonus to their score.
“The Soul Harvest app is a great way for Darksiders fans to connect with the game’s fiction and interact with each other,” said Jim Huntley, vice president of global brand marketing, THQ, Inc. “The app offers some awesome rewards for fans as they reap their way through the last few weeks before Darksiders II launches.”
Darksiders II follows the exploits of Death, one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, in an action-packed tale that runs parallel to the events in the original Darksiders game. This epic journey propels Death through various light and dark realms as he tries to redeem his brother WAR, the horseman blamed for prematurely starting the Apocalypse in Darksiders. Darksiders II is rated M for Mature by the ESRB.
The Soul Harvest app is rated 12+ for the following:
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. GAME OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (EXCLUDING FLORIDA AND NEW YORK) AND CANADA (EXCLUDING QUEBEC). MUST BE AGE EIGHTEEN (18) OR OLDER TO ENTER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
1. How to Play. The Darksiders II Summer of Death Game (the “Game”) sponsored by THQ Inc. (“THQ” or “Sponsor”) begins at 8:00:00 AM (PT) on July 12, 2012 and ends at 11:59:00 PM (PT) on August 12, 2012 (the “Game Period”). To play the Game, download the Darksiders II Soul Harvester mobile application (the “Application”) at www.facebook.com/Darksiders 
, which Application can be downloaded for free. During the Game Period, harvest souls using the Check-In functionality with your Facebook account linked to the Application. The Game is comprised of thirty-two (32) separate daily entry periods (each, a “Daily Entry Period”). For purposes of this Game, each Daily Entry Period begins at 12:00:00 AM (PT) and concludes at 11:59:59 PM (PT) of that same day, except that the first Daily Entry Period will begin at 8:00:00 AM (PT) on July 12, 2012 and end at 11:59:59 PM (PT) that same day. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for this Game.
Limit one (1) Facebook account linked to the Application per person. Entries that Sponsor in its sole discretion determines do not meet the requirements of these Official Rules will be disqualified.
In the event of a dispute about the identity of a participant, entries made online will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the Facebook account at time of entry. An authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. A potential winner may be required to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry.
2. Eligibility. Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Florida and New York) and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are eighteen (18) years of age or older and have a mobile device capable of running the Application on or before July 12, 2012. Game participants must have a Facebook account, which can be created at no cost to participant at www.facebook.com 
. Void in Puerto Rico, all U.S. territories and possessions and overseas military installations. Employees, officers, directors and members of THQ, its parent company, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, wholesale distributors, and individual retail licensees and the immediate family members (meaning spouses, parents, siblings, children and their respective spouses) and members of the households of such employees, officers, directors and members are not eligible. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
3. Winner Determination and Notification. The participant who harvests the most souls and, therefore, is on top of the leader board, at the end of each Daily Entry Period will win a Runner Up Prize according to the schedule of prizes attached to these Official Rules as Exhibit A. If a participant is not eligible to receive a Runner Up Prize, the next participant on the leader board will win the applicable Runner Up Prize until an eligible participant wins the prize for that Daily Entry Period (each eligible participant that wins a Daily Entry Period, a “Daily Winner”). In the event of a tie, the Runner Up Prize will be awarded to the participant who harvested the most souls for that Daily Entry Period the fastest. Limit one (1) Runner Up Prize per person, per household, over the entire Game Period (all Daily Winners remain eligible to win the Grand Prize). The Grand Prize will be awarded to the participant who harvests the most souls over the entire Game Period. In the event of a tie, the Grand Prize will be awarded to the participant who harvested the most souls during the last Daily Entry Period. Further ties will be broken by looking back at prior Daily Entry Periods in succession until the tie is broken. THQ will determine the Grand Prize Winner on the first business day following the end of the Game Period.
Daily Winners will be notified by email within one week from the applicable Daily Entry Period in which they are in first place on the leaderboard and must respond to the notification within two (2) weeks. The Grand Prize Winner will be notified by email within one week from the date THQ determines the Grand Prize Winner. Winners may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release, and, where lawful, a publicity release, within one (1) week of the date of issuance or the prize will be forfeited. If a selected prize winner is a resident of Canada, then he/she, in addition to all other requirements set out in these Official Rules, also must first correctly answer, without assistance of any kind, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question to be administered at a pre-arranged time by telephone.
A prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected from the remaining eligible entries and confirmed in accordance with these Official Rules (i) if a selected prize winner cannot be reached within two (2) weeks of the initial notification attempt, is found to be not in compliance with these Official Rules, or fails to return the requisite documents in a timely manner, (ii) in the event of non-compliance with any of the requirements of these Official Rules, (iii) if the prize notification or prize is returned as undeliverable, and/or (iv) if the selected prize winner is a resident of Canada who fails to correctly answer the time-limited mathematical skill-testing question.
4. Prizes. One (1) Grand Prize: One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive a trip for winner and one (1) guest to Cancun, Mexico, departing on December 12, 2012 that includes roundtrip, economy class airfare from the major U.S. gateway airport nearest winner’s home (as determined by Sponsor), hotel accommodations for three (3) days and two (2) nights, a rental car for three (3) days and two (2) nights, and a guided tour to the end of the world at Yucatan Peninsula to visit Chicxculub crater. All travel must be completed by December 15, 2012, or the Grand Prize will be forfeited in its entirety. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) of Grand Prize: $7,500 USD.
Grand Prize Winner is solely responsible for all expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly stated in the prize description herein, including but not limited to taxes, including but not limited to, any applicable sales and income taxes, insurance, ground transportation (except as expressly provided for above), parking, meals and beverages, gratuities, travel upgrades, baggage fees, concession items, souvenirs and personal incidentals and any other expenses not specified herein.
Grand Prize Winner and his/her guest must take air travel on same itinerary and must travel on dates specified by Sponsor. Lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced. No change, extension, or substitution of trip dates is permitted, except by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Grand Prize Winner’s guest must be over the age of majority in his/her state, province or territory of residence. If Grand Prize Winner is from a jurisdiction that deems him/her to be a minor, he/she must be accompanied during all aspects of the prize trip by his/her parent/legal guardian, and such person must pay his/her own expenses unless deemed to be the allotted guest. If Grand Prize Winner is over the age of majority in his/her state/province/territory of residence, but is under the age of twenty-one (21), he/she must travel with a guest who is over the age of twenty-one (21). In all cases, Grand Prize Winner’s guest will be required to sign a Liability and Publicity Release (except where prohibited by law). Sponsor reserves the right to request proof of age, parenthood or guardianship, and a Grand Prize Winner will be deemed to have forfeited the Prize if Sponsor, in its sole discretion, finds that the proof is unsatisfactory. The Grand Prize Winner and guest are responsible for obtaining all necessary and required travel documents, including, without limitation, a passport and any other documents necessary for travel to and from Mexico.
Runner-Up Prizes: Each Daily Prize Winner will receive one Runner Up Prize (as determined by Sponsor in its discretion). The list of Runner Up Prizes is attached as Exhibit A to these Official Rules. The total ARV of all Runner-Up Prizes: $5,190.91 USD.
Total ARV of all prizes: $12,690.91 USD.
No prize substitution or cash redemption, except in Sponsor’s discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in its sole discretion. Prize is not transferable. Prize winners shall be responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes including but not limited to any sales and income taxes.
6. Use of Winner’s Name and Likeness. Except where legally prohibited, the winner grants permission for Sponsor and those acting under its authority to use his/her name, photograph, voice and/or likeness, for advertising, publicity or any other purposes in any and all media at the discretion of THQ or without consent or additional compensation.
7. General Release. ENTRANTS RELEASE AND AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR FACEBOOK AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, SHAREHOLDERS, OWNERS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, AGENTS, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES AND ALL OTHERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OR EXECUTION OF THIS GAME (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASEES”), FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY OR ANY DAMAGES OR CAUSES OF ACTION (HOWEVER NAMED OR DESCRIBED) ARISING OUT OF PARTICIPATION IN THE GAME, AND/OR THE RECEIPT, USE, MISUSE OR NONUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, RIGHTS OF PUBLICITY OR PRIVACY, DEFAMATION OR PORTRAYAL IN A FALSE LIGHT (WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL), WHETHER UNDER A THEORY OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), WARRANTY OR OTHER THEORY. WINNER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT RELEASEES HAVE NEITHER MADE NOR ARE IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATED TO A PRIZE.
9. General Conditions. By entering the Game and/or accepting a prize, entrants affirm that they have read and accepted these Official Rules. All decisions of Sponsor on all matters relating to this Game are final. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, interrupted, or unavailable network server or other connections, miscommunications, failed telephone or computer transmissions, or technical failure, jumbled, scrambled or misdirected transmissions, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical or electronic or for phone, electrical, network, computer hardware or software program malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or for ISP/network/Web site accessibility or unavailability, any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human errors; technical malfunctions; theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; typographical, printing or other errors. Illegible, incomplete, duplicate and mechanically reproduced entries will be disqualified. False, fraudulent or deceptive entries or acts shall render entries ineligible. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Game, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified. If disqualified for any tampering or abuses, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate registered user’s eligibility to participate in Game. In the event any portion of this Game is compromised by virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, corrupts, or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to, modify, suspend or terminate the Game, and select the winner from entries received prior to the action taken. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE GAME IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. Winners List. The names of the Game winners will be posted at http://facebook.com/darksiders 
as they are confirmed and will be available for viewing until September 15, 2012.
11. Miscellaneous. This Game is governed solely by the laws of the United States. The Game and these Official Rules will be governed, construed, and interpreted under the laws of the State of California. Any claims arising out of the Game may be brought only in a federal or state court in California. If any provisions of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify these Official Rules at any time without notice. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify persons whose eligibility is in question or for any other reason whatsoever.
12. Sponsor. THQ Inc., 29903 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills, CA 91301. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
RUNNER UP PRIZES
Darksiders II T-Shirt
Darksiders II Messenger Bag
Darksiders II T-Shirt
Darksiders II Digital Soundtrack
Darksiders II Poster
Darksiders 1 Game
Darksiders II Art Book
Random House Novel “Darksiders The Abomination Vault”
Random House Novel Early Preview Edition “Darksiders The Abomination Vault
Astro A40 Headset
Nvidia GTX 680 PC Graphic Cards
Comic-Con Darksiders II T-Shirt
Comic Book signed by Joe Mad
Tarot Card Pack signed by Joe Mad 1
Darksiders I Game signed by Joe Mad
Darksiders II Prima Guide
Darksiders II Collector’s Edition Game
Darksiders II Death Statue
Custom Xbox (250GB with a Darksiders II skin
Darksiders II Collectable Death’s Mask with Stand
Darksiders II T-Shirt
Darksiders II Collectable Resin Scythe