In line with its new strategic vision Fostering Cultural Success, Telefilm Canada will select a contingent of 20 export-ready independent Canadian game development companies to support and showcase during GDC 2012. This initiative is aimed at the promotion of Canadian talent in the interactive digital media industry. The application deadline for the Canada Program at GDC 2012 is December 13th.
The Government of Canada and its partners are supporting Canada’s leading game development industry at the Game Developers Conference this coming March in San Francisco with prestigious meeting space, a networking event and a matchmaking program.
The initiative grants the following benefits:
• Complementary Expo Pass for selected participants (1 per company)
• Promotional tools and extended marketing campaign (show reel, signage, online visibility)
In partnership with The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service and the partners of the Canada Program at GDC 2012:
1) Visibility at the Canada Business Lounge signage and screening of show reel
2) Visibility at the Networking Event at Jillian’s
3) Press Relations (Invitation to attend a post-GDC media breakfast – details to come)
Moreover, all Canadian companies submitting an application to Telefilm Canada for this initiative who are present at GDC – whether selected or not – are entitled to the following benefits:
• Access to semi-private and/or private spaces by reservation in the Canadian Business Lounge, co-ordinated by The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service near the Moscone Centre
• Support in business development and meeting booking through Canada’s international Trade Commissioner Service network and Export and Development Canada (EDC)
• Invitations to the Canadian networking reception at Jillian’s
The program is open to all Canadian video game developers meeting the following criteria:
• The applicant company must be Canadian-owned and controlled, as defined in the Investment Canada Act, sections 26 to 28.
• The applicant company must have operated in Canada for at least the past two years and have its headquarters in Canada.
• The applicant company’s core business is video game development.
• The applicant company must produce complete games or, in the case of original intellectual property (IP), own 100% of the rights.
• The applicant company and any related party must not be in default with respect to any obligation towards Telefilm Canada or the Government of Canada.
• The applicant company must have export-ready products available.
The number of participants is limited to 20 developers for the Canadian Videogame Showcase at Game Developers Conference 2012. Telefilm Canada reserves the right to adopt a selection process in its regional offices that will take into account the following:
• Company’s track record (i.e. Awarded projects and international successes)
• Balanced representation of the various regions and gaming platforms (mobile, online, console)
• Priority will be given to clients of the Canada Media Fund, formerly the Canada New Media Fund
All applicants will receive a decision letter by e-mail regarding their eligibility for this initiative by no later than December 23, 2011.
To submit your application, please send the following documents by e-mail to Ann-Marie Picard before December 13, 2011:
• A signed and scanned copy of the completed “Application Form” in PDF format
• A copy of the same completed form in Word format
For further information, please contact Claudia Marcoux at 514 283-0838 or 1 800 567-0890.