Joining the Communitech board are:
- Tim Ellis, COO at the Accelerator Centre
- Kevin Newman, who is keenly involved in the digital media sector as a Digital News Evangelist
- Nick Oddson, Senior Vice-President R&D at OpenText
- Olga Pawluczyk, President at P&P Optica Inc
- John Ruffolo, CEO of OMERS Ventures
- Steve Woods, Director Google Waterloo
“It has been an exciting and challenging year for tech companies in Waterloo Region, and I’m pleased to report that the tech ecosystem in this Region is thriving and continuing to drive innovation,” said Iain Klugman, CEO of Communitech. “Maintaining the momentum, we welcome the infusion of new talent on our board and recognize with gratitude the contribution of outgoing board members.”
Communitech thanks these departing Directors:
- Dave Caputo, Sandvine
- Doug Cooper, Intel
- Steve Farlow, Schlegel School of Business & Entrepreneurship, Laurier University
- Jennifer McCredie, OpenText
- Ray Simonson, Coreworx
- Jacqui Murphy, Tech Capital Partners
A special aspect of the AGM is recognition of top tech sector contribution through the annual Tech Impact Award. The 2011 Tech Impact Award recipient is VeloCity, the University of Waterloo’s incubator program.
The focus of VeloCity is to develop Canada’s next generation of successful entrepreneurs. Students in VeloCity build their startups and their professional networks while living in the VeloCity residence on campus and working in the VeloCity workspace at The Communitech Hub.
“In a Region infused with such a range of talent and contribution in the tech sector, the annual Tech Impact awards are especially meaningful and VeloCity is highly deserving of this recognition,” said Klugman.