Second annual Vancouver Canary Derby Soapbox Race benefiting the Canary Project of BC Cancer Foundation Revs Up for June Races
High tech executives are signing up to race in popular fundraiser for research into early detection of cancer at BC Cancer Agency
Vancouver/Victoria – High-tech company CEO’s will design and hand-build a fleet of sleek soap box race cars for the annual Canary Derby Soapbox race which will be held in Vancouver on Saturday June 27th and Victoria on June 28th, to raise funds for the Canary Project of BC Cancer Foundation for cancer early detection research at the BC Cancer Agency. Canary Foundation of Canada, which is dedicated to funding early detection of cancer, is partnering with BC Cancer Foundation on this international cancer research effort.
Last year the first Vancouver Annual Canary Derby signed up 21 teams raising over $110,000 benefiting the Canary Project at BC Cancer Foundation.
CEOs from British Columbia’s advanced technology companies compete to race soapbox cars in order to raise funds for Canary Foundation of Canada in support of their early detection research at BC Cancer Agency.
Vancouver – Saturday, June 27 2009 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Victoria – Sunday, June 28 2009 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
WHO will attend:
· Don Listwin, formerly with Cisco, and Founder of Canary Foundation
· A senior scientist representing BC Cancer Agency and BC Cancer Foundation representatives
· Vancouver technology company CEO’s will be available to share their race secrets
· An anticipated crowd of hundreds of team members, derby supporters, BC Cancer Agency, BC Cancer Foundation and Canary Foundation staff.
June 27 – Deer Lake Park, Burnaby
June 28 – Victoria
Canary Foundation of Canada and the technology community seek the support of Vancouver community members to help fund early detection cancer research at the BC Cancer Agency in the Vancouver Mainland. The Vancouver technology community is leading the way in supporting innovative cancer research at BC Cancer Agency through donations to the BC Cancer Foundation.
Reasons To Build A Car and Enter a Team:
- Enjoy a great team-building event
- Raise money for a great cause
- Race multiple times on the track, including heats
- Have a chance to win awards for top fundraiser, fastest car, most stylish, and “bent wheel”
- Receive recognition on CanaryDerby.com website
- Have access to professional fundraising tools and expertise, including a website that makes it easy
The entry fee per team is $500.00, but this can be raised through various ways – either paid by the team’s corporation, or through sponsorship activities, such as selling advertising space on the car just like the big race car events. Tax receipts will be issued for all donations and sponsorships.
For further information, either visit the Canary Derby web site, or contact Colin McWhinnie at 866-377-1980.
See you at the Derby!